Huayhuash - Raura circuit
This is an option of intermediate length that visits the snow-capped mountains and colorful lakes of both the Cordillera Huahuash and the Cordillera Raura. You will also visit beautiful and less-traveled places like Lake Surasaca in the Cordillera Raura. The route ends in the town of Churín which is famous for its remarkable hot springs, which you may enjoy before carrying on to Lima.
Duration: 9 days
Distance: 70 Km Approx.
Rating: Moderate - strenuous
Return: Surasaca - Churín
Elevation: 3300 – 4800m
Itinerary at a glance:
Day 1: Huaraz - Llámac 4300m
Day 2: Llámac - Jahuacocha 4070m.
Day 3: Jahuacocha - Zambunya pass 4750m - Cuartelwain 4170m
Day 4: Cuartelwain - Qaqanan pass 4750m - Mitucocha 4230m.
Day 5: Mitucocha - Carhuac pass 4600m - Carhuacocha 4138m.
Day 6: Carhuacocha - Carnicero pass 4630m - Huayhuash 4330m.
Day 7: Huayhuash - Portachuelo pass 4750m - Viconga 4407m.
Day 8: Viconga – Surasaca 4380m.
Day 9: Surasaca - Churín – Lima.
• Depending on the time available it is possible to take a rest day at beautiful Lake Carhuacocha.
• There is an alternative footpath (short cut) from Carhuacoca to the Huayhuash camp site that passes very close to the mountains Siulá, Carnicero, Jurao, and the lakes Gangrajanka, Siulacocha and Quesillococha, the latter of which is also known as Tres Lagunas (three lakes). If you are considering this route you will definitely want a guide to show you the way.
• This route can also be done in reverse in which case you begin in Churín/Surasaca and finish in Llámac.
To keep in mind:
• Before beginning this trek, it is essential to have at least two days of acclimatization. You can take one of the daily tours to the Llanganuco lakes or to the Chavin de Huantar ruins (by car) and/or you can do day hikes in the Cordillera Blanca around Huaraz.
• Bring a water bottle with you, in summer season it gets very hot.
• Bring warm clothes along, because in the mountains the temperature can quickly fall below 0 °C, especially in the early morning, at night, and even when the sun drops behind the clouds.
• Walk at your own rhythm, breathe deeply, and enjoy the beautiful views of Cordillera Huayhuash.
If you are interested in this tour and/or you need further information CONTACT US
- Cordillera Huayhuash tours
- Classic Huayhuash circuit
- Shumaq Huayhuash
- Huayhuash - Raura
- Achalau Huayhuash
- Huanuco Marka - Huayhuash
- Munay Huayhuash
- Ichik Huayhuash
- Winter treks
- Trekking Season 2020
- JOIN NOW!