Shumaq Huayhuash circuit
This option also follows the classic route in its entirety, but to accommodate trekkers on a time budget we skip the rest days, making it a little more strenuous, but we’ll see all the mountains, cross the same passes, and even visit the San Antonio overlook from which we can admire Siula Grande, the mountain made famous by Joe Simpson in “Touching the Void”. If you have time constraints but still want to fully experience the Cordillera Huayhuash, you should consider this option.
Duration: 10 days
Distance: 105 Km Approx.
Rating: Moderate - strenuous
Elevation: 3300 – 5000m
Itinerary at a glance:
Day 1: Huaraz - Llámac - Cuartelwain 4170m.
Day 2: Cuartelwain – Qaqanan pass 4750m - Mitucocha 4230m.
Day 3: Mitucocha - Carhuac pass 4600m - Carhuacocha 4138m.
Day 4: Carhuacocha - Carnicero pass 4630m - Huayhuash 4330m.
Day 5: Huayhuash – Portachuelo pass 4750m - Viconga 4407m
Day 6: Viconga - Cuyoc pass 5000m - Guanacpatay 4300m.
Day 7: Guanacpatay – San Antonio Pass 5010m – Huayllapa 3600m.
Day 8: Huayllapa - Tapush pass 4800m - Qashpapampa 4600m.
Day 9: Qashpapampa - Yaucha pass 4750m - Jahuacocha 4070m.
Day 10: Jahuacocha - Pampa Llámac pass 4300m – Llámac - Huaraz
• Depending on time, it is possible to have a rest day at beautiful Lake Carhuacocha.
• There is an alternative footpath (short cut) from Carhuacoca to the Huayhuash camp site that passes very close to the mountains Siulá, Carnicero, Jurao, and the lakes Gangrajanka, Siulacocha and Quesillococha, the latter of which is also known as Tres Lagunas (three lakes). If you are considering this route you will definitely want a guide to show you the way.
To keep on mind:
• You’ll need at least two days of acclimatization before heading out on the trek. We suggest taking a bus tour of Llanganuco lakes or the Chavin de Huantar ruins in Huaraz, and/or doing one of the various day hikes in the Cordillera Blanca around Huaraz.
• Bring a water bottle with you, in the summer season it gets very hot.
• Bring warm clothes along, because in the mountains the temperature can quickly fall below 0 °C, especially in the early morning, at night, and even when the sun drops behind the clouds.
• Walk at your own rhythm, breathe deeply, and enjoy the beautiful views of Cordillera Huayhuash.
If you are interested in this tour and/or you need further information CONTACT US
- Cordillera Huayhuash tours
- Classic Huayhuash circuit
- Shumaq Huayhuash
- Huayhuash - Raura
- Achalau Huayhuash
- Huanuco Marka - Huayhuash
- Munay Huayhuash
- Ichik Huayhuash
- Winter treks
- Trekking Season 2021
- Let's plan your adventure!